Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Details

I went to the Dali exhibition on Sunday with the Missus and the Kid. The queue was very long but we bypassed this frustrating occupation thanks to my son's ability to whinge at the right moment. A compassionate security guard (yes, they exist) allowed us to use the members' queue. Lovely.

It was interesting, particularly his earlier works which were prima facie unrelated to his more famous surrealist stuff. You know, the melting clocks and so on.

What I found most interesting was my four year old son's reaction to the paintings. I'd been apprehensive. Would he be interested? Would he last the distance as I did the slow, plodding, gallery shuffle? Boy, he loved it. He didn't want to look at every painting - who did? - but chose those that caught his attention such as the self portrait pictured above entitled The Sick Child.

My son saw things, details, that at first I hadn't seen. For example in The Sick Child the first thing he saw were the long fingers. He questioned me about it. Fortunately he's still at the age where he believes everything I say and thinks I know everything (one day he'll be shattered but for now I'm happy to ride that wave) and so I blabbed something obscure which he accepted. Standing before another painting he noticed that the subject had 'pooed his pants'.

"I don't think so," I said, staring closer at the brown mess below the arse of the man on the rocks.

"I think he has Daddy."

"Maybe you're right. Maybe he has pooed his pants."

"He has!"

"Jesus Christ, he has too!"

"I told you."

"Yes but I was looking at the bigger picture."

"I was looking at the poo. Look! He's bleeding from his head."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Look!"

"He is too."

"You're silly Daddy."

Quite. I was looking at the forest. He was looking at the trees.

19 comments:

Puss In Boots said...

Picasso is similar to Dali, in that he didn't always paint in the cubism style. Before 1909, his paintings were "normal". I'm not a big fan of his cubism work, although some paintings stand out for me (Guernica for one), but his earlier works I quite like.

I didn't make it to the Dali museum in Catalonia, which was a shame. I think it would have been very interesting.

Nice to know your boy will grow up with an appreciation for art, Bob! It's lacking in a lot of kids these days.

Perseus said...

That's a lovely post, Bob.

I hate going to exhibitions with painters... they keep going on about the technique rather than the art.

Even worse than that is seeing a play or movie with an actor beside you. Ugh. They appear to not give one flying fuck about the story - all they care about is the acting.

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

Dali, in addition to being a loathsome cunt, did have an obsession with shit.

wari lasi said...

I'm pretty hopless with art (i'm one of those "but I know what I like" arseholes) but have always had an appreciation for, indeed I'm often in awe of, creative people. So we've dragged the kids along to loads of stuff. We even drove to Canberra for the "Old Masters, New Visions" exhibition.

They always loved it and quite often "got" works that had left me baffled.

Pepsi said...

That was sweet.

I tend to go to galleries on my own, I'm sorely lacking in patience with folk who treat art like its supposed to be good so I like it, rather than the ones who like it so its good.

Big shows like this are also a great opportunity for eavesdropping too, I like listening to peoples conversations at places like this.

I'll be getting the passport out and venturing to your part of the world on Friday and was planning on seeing it in Sunday - should I pre-book a ticket Bob?

kitten said...

Did your little boy like the Dali Disney movie? I thought it was great - it was fun watching it and playing "name the painting that image was derived from".

I've been to the Dali museum in Figueres - it was one of the highlights of my trip to Europe.

I am now very disappointed, after seeing the jewellery at the Vic exhibition, that I didnt get to see the jewel museum (cant remember why, whether I ran out of time, or it was closed, or I didnt know about it). So obviously I will have to go back. I want to see the beating heart.

Lewd Bob said...

Nice to know your boy will grow up with an appreciation for art, Bob!

Indeed Puss. Something that was never encouraged by my parents.

they keep going on about the technique rather than the art

Are you saying that my son would be a pain in the arse at a gallery, Perseus? Or me? Or both of us? You hate my family don't you?

in addition to being a loathsome cunt, did have an obsession with shit

The former is a consequence of the latter, among other things.

i'm one of those "but I know what I like" arseholes

LOL of the day, Wari.

should I pre-book a ticket Bob?

For a Sunday visit, yes, if you can.

Did your little boy like the Dali Disney movie?

He hasn't seen it but I suspect it would be up his alley. Animation usually does the trick.

Off topic, what a joke the new TV station 'Go!' is. On the other hand, they are playing re-runs of I Dream of Jeannie so it's not all bad.

kitten said...

The Disney movie was screening at the Vic exhibition, along with the Brunel movie (which is definately not recommended for children!). Did you go see it when you were there?

squib said...

I always get told off by the security guards

Of course, the good exhibitions hardly ever come over here

Lewd Bob said...

Ah yes it was, but we were time poor (corporate speak). And yes, Un Chien Andalou was playing but thought it best to keep my son well clear.

Instead, I played him Debaser when we got home.

Unknown said...

Those fingers are heaps creepy, eh? The middle two look like legs.

Pepsi said...

The razorblade in the eye thing always makes me cringe.

Perseus said...

I think you misread my comment Bob. I said I don't like going to galleries with painters.

Lewd Bob said...

I thought you were trying to conjure some parallel.

Lewd Bob said...

Yes, EMS, they do look like legs. Shapely women's legs.

patchouligirl said...

Just wondering how old your boy is Bob?

This post has encouraged me to learn more about Dali. I found 'soft construction with boiled beans (premonition of civil war)' too confronting and it put me off him.

Re 'GO' - we only got our digital tele this year and as we dont have pay tv, to suddenly have double the channels for free is great. I heard that GO is just channel 9 #2.

Lewd Bob said...

He has just turned 4 PG. As I alluded to earlier, my parents never encouraged any interest in the arts. I want to give my boy a chance to appreciate art, sport, language, poetry, literature, music etc. Try everything at least once. He can be a plumber, a gay plumber, if he chooses. As long as he chooses.

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

Ah, the joys of having your kids believe everything you tell them Bob.

I rue the day when The Boy discovers all members of the Liberal Party are not, in fact, hearless vampires, monsters who beat kittens to death and Tony Abbott.

Perseus said...

I rue the day when The Boy discovers all members of the Liberal Party are not, in fact, hearless vampires, monsters who beat kittens to death and Tony Abbott.

You mean they're not?

I'm shattered!