Monday, June 22, 2009

...some corner of a foreign field. Forever Australian...?

While browsing the interwebs this afternoon, my jingo-o-meter was set off by reading this story, in which those dastardly Indonesians are planning to build a restaurant, bar and club on the site of the Sari Club, target of the first Bali bombing in 2002. This would be instead of a peace park and museum to commemorate the bombings in which 202 people were killed. The writer of the story declares that apparently the "desolate" 800 square metre site of the former Sari Club is "considered hallowed ground by Australians".

In that case, the construction of an 'entertainment complex' on such 'hallowed ground' is totally appropriate considering the sensitive way in which Australians have treated other 'hallowed ground', such as Gallipoli, the Gallipoli Mornington Peninsular, even the 'hallowed turf' at Flemington. Not to mention the sensitive way in which a long line of Australians emboldened by cheap booze, a relatively strong 1st world currency and a mind-numbing sense of cultural superiority have been fine ambassadors of our country to the world.

I know, I should be ashamed for reading the Herald-Sun, but without my daily dose of outrage, what would my life be?

LS

7 comments:

Perseus said...

I should be ashamed for reading the Herald-Sun, but without my daily dose of outrage, what would my life be?

I saw the movie 'Titanic' solely in order to bag it with authority.

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

I thought you watched it for Kate Winslett's tits.

That's a nice piece LS.

Welcome back.

Loose Shunter said...

Thanks Ramon. Now uni. is over for another semester, I can do things I like again, like... post on TSFKA. It's good to be back.

LS

Fad MD said...

If I recall correctly, there is quite a nice plaque remembering all the people who died, not just the Australians. That would be enough. A mat of mine died in Singapore from the burns he suffered in the bombing, but I don't need anything physical to remember him by.

Lewd Bob said...

You could equally listen to 3AW or 2UE for the same affect, LS. Or watch SN starring Mike Munro. I really hate that smug, patronising turd.

Loose Shunter said...

Lewd Bob,
I prefer to build slow-burning outrage via the print media, rather than have it burn out quickly through radio shock jocks.

Fad MD,
By 2099, the 'nice little plaque' will either be:
a) submerged through rising sea levels and global warming, or;
b) the site for Australian back-packers to have a 2-day piss-up and an overnight sleepout in Bali and a chance to watch videos of the cloned Silverchair reunion/farewell tour.

kitten said...

I think its a brilliant idea. Australians in Bali can then make regular (ie. nightly) pilgrimages to the "hallowed" site to commemorate the dead in a true Australian fashion (ie. getting completely smashed) and re-enacting their last evening on earth.

It would be a shit load more fun to visit than Gallipoli.